Follow my blog with Bloglovin
I recently came across an article in GQ Indian Edition Magazine on 10 Style Rules for Sunglasses and that’s when I knew I’ve got the topic for my next post.
Sunglasses are a great way to keep your vision safe from damage and solidify your signature summer look. A perfect pair of sunglasses is an integral part of every sartorial modern man’s wardrobe. As easy as you might think but picking out the ideal sunglasses for your face shape isn’t. There are frames that work to set off your killer features, and there are frames that don’t! The right pair of sunglasses can be the defining aspect of any look, and can also prevent serious health issues. From the shape of your face to your hairstyle and even your hair color, choosing the right frame can be a bit of a minefield and if you do it wrong the whole experience can become particularly frustrating and unrewarding.
For the sunny weather and to help you guys get your heads around what sunglasses you might want to wear, here is a short pocket guide to sunglasses.
First things first let me answer the question Why do we need sunglasses in the first place?
- To protect our eyes from harmful Ultraviolet (UV) rays during the day.
- Sunglasses offer a defense against dirt and debris when we are riding a bicycle or out for a jog.
- They reduce eyestrain and the formation of wrinkles caused by squinting in bright light.
- Worn at the appropriate time – sunglasses help us see better
Let’s start by determining the style that will suit your face shape.
Now that you’ve seen what might suit your face shape, let’s talk more on the different styles of sunglasses for men or women available in the market today. There are countless styles and shapes when it comes to men’s or women’s eye-wear, but you’re only gonna find the trending ones here.
1. Thee Aviators: The Aviator and the Wayfarer have consistently (since 1930’s, if I am not wrong) been battling each other for the title of “most iconic sunglasses model in the world,” and it’s not hard to see why. And they were further popularized by celebrities like Paul McCartney and Tom Cruise as they began to appear in pop culture references and films like Top Gun and To Live and Die in L.A. To this day, the Aviator is a favored style of celebrities and style icons, like Bradley Cooper, and Daniel Craig, to name a few. The classic Aviator frame is metal, and is characterized by a double or triple bridge. You can never go wrong with a classic pair of Aviators, but if you’re wanting to try something on the trendier side, plastic rimmed Aviators should do the trick.
2. The Round Style: John Lennon, the co-founder of The Beatles, strikes my mind every single time I see this style. The Rounds are one of my personal favorites and they give off a cool, trendy-meets-vintage vibes. So, whether you’re feeling the iconic vintage vibe or a Steampunk-infused element of cool, I recommend you trying a pair of round frames on for yourself and see what you think and sway to the music!
3. The Cat Eyed Style: Nothing quite says high fashion and chic like the classic cat-eye sunglasses. This upswept design became exceedingly popular in the 50’s and 60’s, and was frequently associated with high society. Marilyn Monroe was the first to have worn it. With feminine vibes and feline prints, retro lovers should snag this style right about … meow.
4. The Clubmasters or The Browline: Browline sunglasses have a thick top frame that runs across your brow (yeah, now you get it!) and extra-thin rims around the bottom half of the lens. Colonel Sanders was an early browline fan, and today’s celebs carry on the retro-inspired tradition. You can’t go wrong with these iconic frames that have stood the test of time. The Clubmaster frames are indicative of a nostalgic era, but no matter what the era, they maintain their ability to command attention.
5. The Wayfarers: Coined by Ray-Ban in 1956, and perhaps the most classic and enduring iconic sunglasses style there is, the Wayfarer is a universal eye-wear staple that has proven to be timelessly stylish. The reason for the Wayfarer’s fame is that the style looks great on anyone and everyone. If you want a pair that you can wear with anything and that won’t go out of style, Wayfarer shades are a great choice. With its iconic history and celebrity endorsement, the Wayfarer shades have a rock n’ roll charm unrivaled by all other eye-wear styles.
6. The Mirrored Lenses: Mirror lens sunglasses have been one of the most trending styles ever, bringing an 80’s coolness to modern styles. These rainbow-colored lenses shift in color at every angle, giving a unique allure. These sunglasses are currently being hailed by celebrities, bloggers, and dapper gentlemen alike for their ability to add a dimension of youthfulness, fun, and surprise to one’s everyday wardrobe. Whatever frame shape you favor, you’ll be able to find a mirrored version that will give an edge to your style.
7. The Oversized Style: Audrey Hepburn sported them in ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ and became a style icon for generations to come. The effortless way she pulled off oversized sunglasses is often imitated all around the world, and for good reason too!
Aviators have been in like forever and are worn by every second person. Which is why I don’t like wearing or buying this frame since they are very common. Yes, you look stunning, smart and all that but I have a different opinion about them. I prefer wayfarers, club-masters or the round styled frames. One they look bad-ass and two they look bad-ass.
It’s now okay to borrow your girl’s sunglasses – says Luisa Delgado (CEO of eye-wear giant Safilo)
Well, I wouldn’t say she’s completely wrong since, today you can hardly make out the difference between the two.
I want to know your thoughts on this post. How essential do you think sunglasses are? What are you currently rocking?
Let me know in the comments section…